Private events do not need an entertainment license but public ones do, whatever the size.

Be careful here though, music and live entertainment provided for business purposes including fundraising events will require a ‘Performing Rights Society (PRS) for Music’ license and a ‘Phonographic Performance Limited (PPL)’ license.

Music license requirements however, do vary depending on the type of event and venue space so it is important to investigate this in more depth.

Remember that even though you may be organizing a private family based event, you are still “selling” live entertainment as part of a business service. Where a vendor is involved, work only with those that can demonstrate that their licenses are up-to-date. Do not take “it will be here in good time or we are in the process of application” as an acceptable answer!


Following a University degree and a drastic career move, Fiona Warren-Bassett soon found herself rapidly moving forward in the events and PR world. Enjoying the change of direction, Fiona went on to further her Event Management experience, spending 6 years working for a renowned cruise line company. Having travelled extensively and been actively involved in many events and weddings, Fiona has since returned to land and has successfully launched her freelance writing and PR career.
Request a Demo Promote an Event Partners
Tagged with: ,