To install any temporary electrical equipment requires a series of safety checks. A certificate of permission will need to be obtained for lighting, generators, L.P.G (liquefied petroleum gas) installation, stage construction and associated scenery and props. These alone will need to comply with fire safety regulations and be coated or covered with preventive fire products.

Fireworks are considered explosives and suppliers must have an all year round license. There are some strict guidelines about the storing and operation of fireworks, so save yourself any unwanted attention and consult your local authorities and Organised Pyrotechnic Displays act (revised April 2011) about what you can and can’t do before you promise anything to your clients.

All of the above involves running a risk assessment of your venue site prior to applying for any licences, temporary certifications and permissions. This is a big responsibility but remember that your own best policy is to always double check your information with the local authorities about what is required. You may be asked to pay some money towards licences and admin fees but it will surely be a lot less that the fine you would face if you didn’t follow the lay of the law!


Following a University degree and a drastic career move, Fiona Warren-Bassett soon found herself rapidly moving forward in the events and PR world. Enjoying the change of direction, Fiona went on to further her Event Management experience, spending 6 years working for a renowned cruise line company. Having travelled extensively and been actively involved in many events and weddings, Fiona has since returned to land and has successfully launched her freelance writing and PR career.
Request a Demo Promote an Event Partners
Tagged with: ,